Thursday, January 16, 2014

Springing into the New Year

One of the great things about living in the Bay Area is the temperate climate and the abundance of amazing nurseries. Since I had the day off and it was about 70 degrees outside today, I had to give my porch garden a mini-makeover. I have two great nurseries walking distance from my place: East Bay Nursery http://www.eastbaynursery.com/ and Dwight Way Nursery http://www.yabusakisdwightwaynursery.com/. I'm also a big fan of The Dry Garden in Oakland http://www.thedrygardennursery.com/ and Cactus Jungle http://www.cactusjungle.com/ in Berkeley; and Flora Grubb www.floragrubb.com in San Francisco.

Here is what my little porch looked like this morning:

 Here is what it looks like now:

My favorite find of the day was this ornamental kale for only $2.16. Also great for table centerpieces!!
I hope this inspires some gardening!! xxoo, Hadley

3 comments:

  1. You are the succulent queen! I am really excited about the one I just bought at Desert Images near Ojai. You must go there!! Succulent Heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had, can you tell us a little bit more about the process of repotting plants and also advice for planting different plants in the same pot? I love what you did here but I am a novice gardener and I don't really know how to do basic things -- like, what kind of soil should I get? I have a flowering cactus that is very special to me because a mentor gave it to me. I think it has outgrown its pot and I want to repot it. Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mighty M! Succulents and cactus are super easy because they don't need a lot of water or fuss. Basically all you need to do is buy the soil specifically for succulents and re-pot your plant with that. Cactus soil usually has sand in it. What is great about succulents is that you can take clippings from bigger plants and re-plant them and they re-root themselves. That is what I did in the pots you see with multiple plants. Beyond that, I'm still learning too!

      Delete